Saturday, August 1, 2009

Living on the Edge...of Computing

So, I've decided to embark on a little journey in computing.

With the exception of the few games I own, I plan to live "outside" of Windows.

For a year.

(A muffled gasp from the back row, followed by quiet mutters of "He won't survive! He'll starve to death! He's gone mad! We'll find him reduced to picking berries and digging up tuber roots in a month's time!")

Now, I've already been running a non-Windows desktop for about 4 months now, and it's been pretty painless. But I've noticed more and more that I get less and less done while I'm in Windows. And frankly, I only use Windows because my games were written to run in Windows.

(Yes, I am aware of Wine and other ways to get games to run inside of my non-Windows sessions. But this is about "getting things done", not "screwing around".)

So what's it been like after 4 months?

Strange as it may sound, relaxing. I don't worry about things. I just worry about doing what I want to do. Isn't that what everyone claims to want - I want to just get things done? But isn't it funny that I get more done "outside of the box"?

We'll see how long this can last. I plan to go the additional 8 months. Can he do it? Can he hold out? Only time will tell...

No comments: